Saturday, September 1, 2012

"Such a charming novel," cried Julia - (pg 546)


I read The Mystery of a Hansom Cab by Fergus Hume as my Husband has recently worked on a Tele-Movie Production of the story, coming sometime to your ABC!

I downloaded this onto my IPad as part of Project Gutenburg Australia, a place where you can download all kinds of free ebooks. I'm still not a fan of the ebook, mostly as I can't read it in the bath!!

Back the the book at hand. I found it to be quite a good mystery, even though I determined who the murderer was at the beginning, I enjoyed discovering the motive. I also enjoyed the setting, 19th C Melbourne, the city and the country and am really looking forward to seeing it portrayed in the new Tele-Movie.

The forward by Hume himself was also very interesting, his inability to get published at first, coming from one of the 'Colonies'. The story itself became an international bestseller and outsold the Sherlock Holmes novel A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle.

121 Days Remaining, 9 Books To Go

No comments:

Post a Comment