Friday, August 3, 2012

I learned far more from my father and from his library than I ever did at school - (Pg 210)


There was much that I liked about Jane Austen in Australia by Barbara Ker Wilson. It had however, one major downfall, there was no story or plot tying the whole thing together.

The story is fictional, and entertains the question, what if Jane Austen had visited Australia in 1803. Unfortunately, Jane Austen as protagonist was barely present at all, and there was no antagonist to speak of.

There were a number of great characters, and I loved the sense of time and place both in England and Australia. The story features some fantastic historic figures and events from Australia's colonial past, and contrasts them beautifully with English manners and lifestyle at the time.

I just wanted something to happen. There were so many little events and sub-stories that were interesting, however there really was no common thread tying them all together.

The book has given me a thirst to read other fictional stories set in Australia during this same period. It was a very fascinating and turbulent time, when the colony was just getting established. Any reccomendations would be truly welcomed.

 151 Days Remaining, 10 Books To Go

No comments:

Post a Comment