Wednesday, September 26, 2012

If he was reading he was reading - (Pg 9)



The Red House by Mark Haddon was quite a let down for me. Haddon's previous two novels, including A Spot Of Bother which I read in my original quest, had warm voices, interesting characters and humour.

These elements were completely absent from this story. It actually made me feel depressed and unsettled about life and what it's all about, pretty horrible really. Two families, 8 characters, and all of them horrible, uninspired, and terribly sad with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

I also had to consciously remind myself it was set in England, it seemed to have such an American feel to it.

It was readable, if a little confusing with the pointless inclusion of excerpts from books that the characters were reading. I would only recommend it if you were in a dark mood and didn't want to be lifted out of it.

96 Days Remaining, 6 Books To Go

No comments:

Post a Comment